I might just have to resurrect my food blog. I made this up as I went tonight, and it’s goooooood.
- 2 or 3 small butternut squashes (squashi?)
- brown sugar
- an onion
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- maple syrup (The real stuff, or else skip it. I am a food snob. Everyone should be.)
- I roasted the butternut squash (sprinkled with brown sugar) the night before. To roast the squash, cut them in half, lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and gick. Put face up on a baking sheet (with the brown sugar, or with butter or olive oil or whatever you like) and cook at 400 for about an hour. After the squash is cool, peel off the skin and set aside. If you are adverse to scrubbing stuff off your baking pans, line the pan with foil. Or parchment paper.
- Coarsely chop the onion & cook in the olive oil until carmelized, something like 20 minutes
- Add the butternut squash, and smush it up with the onion and keep cooking it until it’s browned enough for you
- Add 4 to 6 cups of stock (I had 2 squashes, and used 4 cups and like how the consistency ended up)
- Add the parsley. I use little frozen cubes of chopped parsley, but you can use fresh chopped, of course. I wouldn’t use dried. It’s a food snob thing.
- Let this all cook and simmer for awhile. Twenty minutes or so. Then blend it with a hand blender, or you can do it in small batches in the blender. I use a hand blender, though, because I would probably burn the crap out of myself trying to do it in a blender.
- Add about 3 tablespoons of maple syrup, salt if you need it, pepper, hot sauce maybe
The end result is very oniony, but in that good, smoky-sweet carmelized onion way. I might make this to bring on Thanksgiving. And, I am sure that it would be most excellent with some nice crispy chopped bacon on top.
holy cow, that sounds delicious. i’ll get around to making it sometime soon. and the herb cubes? fantastic idea. yay!
YUM. A friend who gets a weekly garden box gave me, like, 25 acorn squash and she had a bunch left for herself, too. I am so making this soup!
do people still buy the fake maple syrup stuff? i thought it was just on the shelves for nostalgia.
Although, I think I would have passed on the maple syrup. Syrup is for pancakes. PANCAKES! 😉